The Sea School is based in Moreton Bay and delivers fun and adventurous marine expeditions that achieve practical and meaningful learning outcomes.
We focus on your skill development and the group process, utilising adventure education and expeditionary learning approaches while covering the Sea School Curriculum. Please explore our website for more detailed information.
Our current training programs include:
- Sea School Certificate and Duke of Edinburgh Award – training and qualifying expeditions
- Sail training courses – applying skills such as sailing and marine navigation through teamwork and situational leadership
- Focussed outdoor education expeditions and day programs
- Fun adventure activity and nature connection programs
- Tailored staff development and team building programs – building on your leadership and communication skills
- Accredited Sailing/Kayaking/Canoeing Instructor training and assessment
- Marine Science, Core Skills and other particular learning outcome focused discovery programs with qualified teachers
- Adventure Therapy processes for individuals and groups, including extended journey programs
- Creative Approaches to Group Work training for human services workers
Our approach is aligned with the design principles of expeditionary learning and has a strong historical foundation. The Blue Peter is a maritime signal flag (P) that has been used as a symbol for maritime training programs for a very long time – our original blog outlines this.
Various programs have been developed to meet specific group needs, objectives or learning outcomes such as those for:
Mission Australia, Silky Oaks Childrens Haven*, Roma House*, Noosa Pengari Steiner School*, Boonah State High School*, John Paul College*, PCYC, Wesley Mission*, Scenic Rim Shire Council*, Church of England Grammar School*, Mapleton QCCC, South Passage*, NSW Health, Australian Catholic University*, Paramount Adventures*, Hillbrook Anglican School* Clairvaux McKillop College, Youth Plus*, Human Nature* and our own internal skipper training programs.
The natural rhythms of tides, waves, wind and sun – as well as the life of the expedition family – enable us to connect with our strengths, and ignite our personal energy for real sharing, learning and contribution.
We celebrate the diversity that is essential for a healthy expedition community, and use sailing as a medium to enhance our communication, decision making and other life skills involved in being “at the helm” and “in the same boat” – using literal and metaphorical voyages of discovery as we venture outward bound to new horizons, and inward bound to learn more about ourselves and others.
It is through the navigation of life’s hazards (and our inevitable mistakes) that we can learn the most important lessons, while creating very memorable experiences at the same time!
“I felt safe and comfortable at all times when aboard each boat because there was always a leader who knew what they were doing.”
“I feel more confident with all of these areas and I think I am going to be more prepared for the next expedition.”
“The program met and went far beyond my expectation for the trip. I had a far greater trip than I was imagining.”
“I liked everyone as they were very welcoming and all the activities I enjoyed a lot.”
“I had a fantastic time! And so did all of the young people, at some stage or another ;)”
“…too good – it takes the thunder away from our year 10 expedition.”
Year 7 teacher
Lecturer in Outdoor Leadership
“It was the best training I have ever had. I feel so motivated!”
Allied Health staff member
“Reports back from the programs have been outstanding – so a big thank you for the effort of yourself and the team.”
Outdoor Education Coordinator
Letters of recommendation:
If you have been on a Sea School program, please leave your feedback here.
We refer to “Blue Peter” as our organisational mission to develop skills and capacity for activity conduction, leadership and facilitation through adventure education and expeditionary learning processes.
We refer to “The Sea School” as the range of our programs incorporating training for Sea School Certificate, Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme, school based curriculum and other tailored expedition objectives.
- Blue Peter has all the latest sail training news and updates!
- Blue Peter – The Sea School would love to share your videos as well!